Tuesday, October 25, 2011

9 weeks old and loving it!

The babies have been home for 3 1/2 weeks now and are 9 weeks old today. They say that twins are delayed 2 weeks so on Thursday they will gestationally be 42 weeks meaning that on Thursday they will finally be at the stage of a normal newborn born at 40 weeks. I haven't had a doctor appointment for a few weeks, so I'm not sure how much they weigh. My guess is that Jane weighs about as much as Libby when she was born which is 7 lbs. 13 oz. and Kate is a little smaller than that, maybe 7 lbs. 3 oz. That's just my guess. We have an appointment next week. Kate is still on oxygen and we aren't enjoying that much. She gets frustrated with it and tries to pull it off all of the time. Hopefully by the end of this week she will be ready to get rid of it. We will do another trial run sometime this week to see how she is doing.


They are still wearing newborn clothes but have surpassed the preemie outfits which is nice. These outfits that my old mission companion gave me are so cute. I love the whole animal print theme going on in their bed. This was towards the end of our time at the hospital. I just wanted to remember how it all was with them in the hospital, so bare with me.

They had to do a test with them in the car seats for 90 minutes to make sure their breathing stayed steady while in the car. They passed.

This was taken after feeding them one day in the hospital. When I nurse them I do it tandem football style so I'm not feeding babies all day long. I always feed them at the same time to keep them on the same feeding schedule so I can get some sleep at night. This was after a feeding while I was trying to burp them. It's hard work I tell you. I got exhausted and just let them fall into each other.

Another shot of what we saw in the hospital. This was their bed, it kind of looks like a mini prison cell or something. They would cover the top up to block out the light and let them sleep as much as possible.


I had some of the best nurses. This is Lisa, she was one of my primary nurses that stuck with me through the good and bad days. She took great care of us. She was so amazing that her mom even made us blessing dresses. We had a cousin make some and she was there when I got them and they were really short. So just had the cousin make them a bit longer and it wasn't a big deal. She didn't know that and felt really bad for us and was telling her mom and her mom felt super bad and made us some gorgeous blessing dresses. They are super cute and long and beautiful but when I put them on the babies they were too big. I would have used them anyway but they were falling off their shoulders big. We went with the ones that Brett's cousin made and they were perfect. I feel really bad but that's the kind of awesome nurses we had at the hospital.

This is Jennifer (Jen) another favorite nurse of ours. This was departure day so she came down to the van with us so we could bring the babies home.

Lisa and Jen are actually really good friends and they ended up both working on the day we left and helped us get them ready to come home. They finally came home on Friday, September 30th.

These are the bands that I had to wear for the 5 1/2 weeks. They were my entrance into the hospital and my way of getting them out of the hospital. The blue one changed every day.

This was the plan for the week to get them home. They had to pass all of these feeding tests before they would let them come home.

6 week pictures weren't the easiest to take...




Jules and Libby have adjusted super well to the babies. They love holding them, but we don't get super happy with them when they try to do it when we aren't there to help them. Luckily it doesn't happen too often.....but it does happen.


Blessing day

Grandpa Wilson holding Jane

Adoree holding Jane

You can sort of get a glimpse of our house from this picture. We had a great turn out with most of our family. My nephew actually got baptized earlier that day so we did it on the same day while all the family was together. My sister also came into town for the festivities and sent her family back home and stayed for a week to help me out.

Family picture time.

Kellie with Jane...Jane is the easier one to pass around because Kate has the oxygen tubes and monitor.

Such a proud mom...

and dad.

Sydney holding Kate. Most of the time the kids wanted to hold Jane because they were scared of the cords.

At first Tyler said he didn't want to hold the babies at all. That changed within seconds and he loved holding the babies and tried to give each baby equal time.

I've been addicted to pinterest lately and have found so many fun activities for the kids using normal household items. I made this finger paint last week for FHE and the girls had fun painting. I wasn't a huge fan of the recipe, it was easy but the consistency isn't great. The girls had fun though.

another shot of our house, the kitchen was a bit messy though, sorry. One of these days I will get some good clean pictures of the house...one of these days.


Kate and Jane in Grandma Wilson's bouncy seat. This is made for one baby by the way.

On Sunday they turned 2 months old.

Since we can't exactly take a picture of me feeding both of the babies at the same time we thought we would at least get Brett doing the job. (nice MC Hammer pants huh, haha. It's the weird angle I promise)


It's hard to see how small they are so I put my hand to compare her with. They are getting bigger but are still tiny.

...and I love it. Especially since I didn't get to enjoy them so much for the first 5 1/2 weeks.

Jane at 2 months old.

9 week pictures taken today. This was the first time I have let the girls hold both babies at the same time. Can you tell how happy and excited they were about it?


Jane with her "half smile"

They still sleep in the same bed but I have seperated them a bit in there so this was the first time in a few days that they have laid close to each other other than feeding times. They loved being back together and were flayling their arms a bit. Here they actually got them interlocked.

I am doing surprisingly well. I have discovered that giving them bottles during the night equals more sleep for me. If I nurse them it takes about an hour, maybe a little less. If I give them bottles with my milk then it only takes about 25 minutes. We just stay up late and feed them around midnight then I get up around 3 or 4. Then they wake up around 6:30-8am. Depending on what time they wake up, I either just stay up or go back to bed. Lately I've been going back to bed for a bit. I don't usually need a nap during the day but can if I need to. They are really good babies and don't cry too much.

They still sleep most of the day so I can still get things done. We just don't leave the house much becuase it's a pain and we don't want them getting sick. Life is pretty good though, we can't complain about anything.

The first week the babies were home our washer broke. Not great timing with all of the laundry twins add to the house. We took a few days and Brett did some heavy research, including asking facebook friends for advice, and we got a huge washer and dryer later that week. It has been super helpful having such a big set and we love them. I can't believe how much more laundry 2 tiny babies add.

Like I said earlier, my sister came and stayed with me for a week and that was super nice. I was a bit nervous to have her leave but we've been doing pretty well. When she was here, we made some freezer meals so I have some easy-to-make dinners ready to go, which has helped a lot. We have a lot of support from family and the prayers have been felt greatly, especially while they were still in the hospital. I'm not sure how I would have handled everything without your prayers. We have been super blessed. Thanks to all.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow. The girls (all 4 of them) are beautiful! Why are they growing up so fast?! I want to just come and be there!!
Did you make that beautiful quilt? It is so cute!!
We should video chat soon! Miss you guys!!

Ron and Cheryl Pierce said...

They look great! I miss your girls so much, but don't miss the feeding in the middle of the night. I can't believe Kate is still on oxygen. How is her breathing doing lately? Great update and can't wait to see them ok and you again!

Stephanie Salmon said...

You are so positive! I love it! It's so refreshing. I want to come see you soon. You look amazing too of course. :)

Matt and Suzanne said...

Your girls are absolutely adorable. Oh, I want to meet them! I am so happy to hear that you are doing well and you look just fabulous.